The four star Marine general James Mattis has forged a name for himself long before he joined President Donal Trump’s Cabinet. His resignation from Trump’s administration started a new chapter in his life, but his old habits and a way with words that leaves many without anything to retort have kept him in the hearts of many fellow Marines who consider him beloved and respected.
Also known as Mad Dog Mattis or Warrior Monk, he is often attributed with amusing, funny but at the same time blunt comments regarding life, war and Marine life. Here are 10 of his most controversial statements.
- Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Controversial indeed, however, in war, a very necessary outlook on life.
- The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.
In a way, these words ring truer than many others. The world would surely be a better place without some evil people present, even allowed to live, such as pedophiles or serial killers who are locked away in prisons, but who are still allowed the right to live at the expense of the taxpayers. Also, a person always decides for himself what he wants to be: the hunter or the hunted. And, that choice puts him on a path of life.
- I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: if you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.
One should always be ready to defend oneself and those he loves. But, never draw the gun first.
- There are some people who think you have to hate them in order to shoot them. I don’t think you do. It’s just business.
Taking a life can never be considered just business. And yet, Mattis claims it is.
- Actually it’s quite fun to fight with them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people.
After this comment, even Mattis claimed that she should have chosen his words more wisely, after receiving counsel from the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Michael Hagee.
- Fight with a happy heart.
War is never a happy affair, but there is still some truth behind this. Especially if you believe in what you are fighting for. Then, you surely should smile.
- As I watch millennial men struggle to lift their bags into the overhead bin I am reminded how fucked we are if there’s a draft.
Straight to the point, painfully blunt. That’s always to be expected of this man.
- When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she’s dating a pussy.
Not the one to choose his words for delicate ears, Mattis always gets his message across, remaining dignified.
- What pisses me the hell off is, my men defend freedom all over the world with a gun, yet they come home and some pantyhose wearing politician wants them defenseless against thousands of armed terrorists.
Mattis doesn’t take it lightly that someone would stomp on his right to bear arms.
- What keeps you awake at night?
Mattis: “Nothing. I keep other people awake at night.”
The best was saved for last, as always. Mattis – a man of many words, blunt, amusing, true. If America had more people like this, imagine the lengths we’d go to.